HSFA 300 Preseason Rankings 7/8/24

12 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Nothing really surprising IMO.

But I wasn't expecting Bergen to be so high. Are they really that stacked, and will they play any national elite teams?

Bergen plays IMG this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

If and when they finally find an opponent for 8/30, I doubt that team will be in the T300 😉 

I wouldn’t bet against you on that! 🤣 When you consider that two or three (or more) of MD’s playoff opponents will also be Top 25, it’s crazy how many top schools the CA Open champ has to play and beat every year.  No other teams in the country come close to MD and SJB in that regard. 

19 minutes ago, All Dei said:

I wouldn’t bet against you on that! 🤣 When you consider that two or three (or more) of MD’s playoff opponents will also be Top 25, it’s crazy how many top schools the CA Open champ has to play and beat every year.  No other teams in the country come close to MD and SJB in that regard. 

MD, SJB and Cen10 are elite for sure. 

Speaking of the CA open division, did I read somewhere recently that FL is going to that format, too?  IMO, that would provide a significant bump for FL schools in terms of MNC consideration.  Such a deep state, but the best teams rarely play each other.  STA, for example, has little to no chance at an MNC unless they beat an MD or SJB, and even then it’s a stretch bc their in-state regular season schedule is so abysmal, and their playoff is a cake walk. A FL open playoffs with teams like STA, MC, C-M, AH, Lakeland et al battling each other every year would be the most competitive in the nation, and it would insert the FL champ into the MNC discussion every year.  A marquee win over MD or SJB and they’d be automatic. 

GA and TX need to follow suit, too, but first need to prove they can hang with the bigs before they garner real MNC consideration. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, All Dei said:

Speaking of the CA open division, did I read somewhere recently that FL is going to that format, too?  IMO, that would provide a significant bump for FL schools in terms of MNC consideration.  Such a deep state, but the best teams rarely play each other.  STA, for example, has little to no chance at an MNC unless they beat an MD or SJB, and even then it’s a stretch bc their in-state regular season schedule is so abysmal, and their playoff is a cake walk. A FL open playoffs with teams like STA, MC, C-M, AH, Lakeland et al battling each other every year would be the most competitive in the nation, and it would insert the FL champ into the MNC discussion every year.  A marquee win over MD or SJB and they’d be automatic. 

GA and TX need to follow suit, too, but first need to prove they can hang with the bigs before they garner real MNC consideration. 

FL Open Division must include IMG for it to be taken seriously. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

So bottom line, who's responsible for IMG not being in the FL playoffs?  Is it their choice or the FL governing body's?

37 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The winner of that gauntlet, even without IMG, would still have to be taken pretty damn seriously, imo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, All Dei said:

So bottom line, who's responsible for IMG not being in the FL playoffs?  Is it their choice or the FL governing body's?

I don't know, but I would assume it is the Fl governing body. Why would IMG choose to not play in the playoffs and be relegated to 10 games and having a weaker SOS? IMG knows that participating in playoffs would only help their cause.

20 minutes ago, All Dei said:

IMG has always been eligible to participate in the state playoffs. And they have always chosen not to participate because they have multiple teams. In their opinion it wouldn't be fair for some teams to make it and some not. So none participate. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

IMG has always been eligible to participate in the state playoffs. And they have always chosen not to participate because they have multiple teams. In their opinion it wouldn't be fair for some teams to make it and some not. So none participate. 

That makes no sense. That's analogous to a varsity team not playing in the playoffs because it hurts the feelings of the JV players. That is an 'everybody gets a trophy' mentality at its finest.

Hard to believe IMG would make a decision that only hurts the standings of their team. Yes, IMG has multiple teams. But only one of them matters.

9 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

That makes no sense. That's analogous to a varsity team not playing in the playoffs because it hurts the feelings of the JV players. That is an 'everybody gets a trophy' mentality at its finest.

Hard to believe IMG would make a decision that only hurts the standings of their team. Yes, IMG has multiple teams. But only one of them matters.

It's just their philosophy. But I do know that if FL goes to an Open Division the National team would be all in. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 11:27 AM, Bodysurf said:

Nothing really surprising IMO.

But I wasn't expecting Bergen to be so high. Are they really that stacked, and will they play any national elite teams?

They will be a very good team with a lot of studs but depth will be an issue. I personally think they are to high & should be closer to where they usually are between 18 and 25. They can't hang with IMG but Massillon should be the real test. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MickeyBern said:

They will be a very good team with a lot of studs but depth will be an issue. I personally think they are to high & should be closer to where they usually are between 18 and 25. They can't hang with IMG but Massillon should be the real test. 

The Massillon officials are some of the crookedist in America. I warned your coaches not to take that game, but they had no other choices. I can't see those refs permitting any OOS team to win there. 

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The Massillon officials are some of the crookedist in America. I warned your coaches not to take that game, but they had no other choices. I can't see those refs permitting any OOS team to win there. 

yeah I know but it is still a good game for us. I like the fact we are staying true to our philosophy and not backing down. After being humiliated last year by Chaminade it would be real easy to back off & we didn't. If we start the season 0-2 by losing to 2 top 20 teams then so be it. Our kids learned a lot from last years blowout in Florida as we did in 2017 by getting beat by Mater Dei. Both years we came back and ran the table & won the State. 

• Like 1