Servite -45 vs. East (UT) - 0 (Final)

• Sammy Swordsman changed the title to Servite -30 vs. East (UT) - 0 (halftime)
  • Sammy Swordsman changed the title to Servite -45 vs. East (UT) - 0 (Final)
12 minutes ago, Old_e said:

Third in the TL?

Servite has alot of returning guys this year.  I think they have a legit chance at 3rd place and a playoff spot (not in the open division).  With that being said, they would also probably beat the 75-100 teams in the National rankings.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

Servite has alot of returning guys this year.  I think they have a legit chance at 3rd place and a playoff spot (not in the open division).  With that being said, they would also probably beat the 75-100 teams in the National rankings.

If they finished 3rd in the TL that means they beat OLu. I bet that would be good enough to squeeze into Open Division. 

• Like 1

Trinity League went 5-1 this week.

Most impressive win was J Serra 35-7 over Sierra Canyon

Bosco's win over Chaminade-Madonna 34-27 was a solid win and, I think, a bit of an upset.

Mater Dei 42-25 over Centennial, Orange Lutheran 21-13 over Serra of Gardena, and Servite 45-0 over East of Salt Lake City, all went about as expected.

Santa Margarita/ Mission Viejo was thought to be a toss-up, but a 7-35 loss for Santa Margarita was surprising margin.

• Like 1

A few observations about Servite's win:

It definitely looked like Servite's opening game...lots of penalties early in the game, and the Friars missed 4 out of 7 PATs.

Also...Servite's kicker failed to have even one touchback in seven tries, with one ending up out of bounds.

Servite was projected to win something like 42-14, but if they hadn't pulled many of the star offensive skill players at halftime, it could have been 70-0.

Friar QB Leo Hannan was 14 for 16 for 223 yards and 5 TDs to five different receivers, with zero INTs, for a QB rating of 166.7...all in the first half.

This Friar team may be the biggest team they've ever had. There are 18 players 250 lbs. or larger, 6 of whom are 300-345 lbs. Plenty of height also with 14 players between 6'3" and 6'7". Lots of depth for the OL, DL and LBers.

The Friars are, however, a very young team so the future is bright. But inexperience is the downside of that.

Probably 5th or 6th and hopefully a long run again in the D2 playoffs.

Edited by Professor Fate
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Professor Fate said:

Santa Margarita/ Mission Viejo was thought to be a toss-up, but a 7-35 loss for Santa Margarita was surprising margin.

Mission is actually pretty damn good IMO. This is their best team in a while and are a legit contender. I’m intrigued with Chad Johnson having McManus join his staff as it signals to me that mission is serious about joining the arms race now.

The top 4 teams at this point are obvious in MD, Bosco, Centennial, and Mission. There is quite a bit of separation between this group and the next tier of teams.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Mission is actually pretty damn good IMO. This is their best team in a while and are a legit contender. I’m intrigued with Chad Johnson having McManus join his staff as it signals to me that mission is serious about joining the arms race now.

The top 4 teams at this point are obvious in MD, Bosco, Centennial, and Mission. There is quite a bit of separation between this group and the next tier of teams.

There's also still quite a bit of separation between the Big2 and the rest of the state. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

LOL Did you watch the SJB/CM game yesterday? September 6th should settle this debate at least re MD. 

SJB has become somewhat pedestrian having lost to KAH last season and their struggle with CM yesterday. 

I dunno.  Just cant shake the MD vs BC game a few years back, or the SJB vs MC game.

If I really think harder I also remember the MD vs SFA, MD vs. IMG, MD vs SJC, MD vs. Duncanville.....

Just don't see much evidence that any area in the country would fare better than the Calif teams vs. the Big 2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Swordsman said:

I dunno.  Just cant shake the MD vs BC game a few years back, or the SJB vs MC game.

If I really think harder I also remember the MD vs STA, MD vs. IMG, MD vs SJC, MD vs. Duncanville.....

Just don't see much evidence that any area in the country would fare better than the Calif teams vs. the Big 2.

You need to start thinking in the present. Remember a few seasons ago? CM lost by 35 to BG. Yesterday CM may have beaten the Gaels. Teams and times can change for the better. 

You don't see anyone from NJ gloating anymore about beating DLS (twice), BG and STA (twice) back in the day. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

You need to start thinking in the present. Remember a few seasons ago? CM lost by 35 to BG. Yesterday CM may have beaten the Gaels. Teams and times can change for the better. 

CM has a very good team.  Maybe the best in Fla.   They would still come in 3rd place in the Trinity league.

• Like 1

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

We'll never know. And some were saying Cen10 was better than SJB this season. I'm still chuckling at that. 

Thats wishfull thinking.   Cen10 needs about 10 samoan's to transfer in to anchor their lines, before they'll have a chance vs the Big 2.  Which is the formula for the Big 2 success.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

We'll never know. And some were saying Cen10 was better than SJB this season. I'm still chuckling at that. 

I'd say the jury is still out on that one, due to QB Longstreet being out this week. We won't know until mid season just how good they can be.

18 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

You don't see anyone from NJ gloating anymore about beating DLS (twice), BG and STA (twice) back in the day. 

Every year, we are seeing more public schools up their game and be able to play competitive games with, and are occasionally beating one the power privates.  Look for this trend to continue as other schools grow up. Plus the West had a head start in this expanded new version of the game.  

• Like 1