Florida News

19 minutes ago, Softballguy said:

Chaminade and TCA have been state title contenders for years even before either were nationally relevant 

TCA will be nationally relevant again because they have little to no real competition for talent in Duval County because none of the publics have any real stability and usually even when the teams get good they have coaching changes 

The lowest classes of FL HSFB mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. C-M has made a name for themselves by beating the likes of Buford, SFA and BC. TCA plays nobodies. 

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The lowest classes of FL HSFB mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. C-M has made a name for themselves by beating the likes of Buford, SFA and BC. TCA plays nobodies. 

I can name several nationally ranked teams who play weaker competition that TCA has in the last decade and wouldn't have to dig all that far into the rankings 

When you play in Florida you don't have to go fly across the country to face good teams 

This ain't Colorado or Oklahoma where you have to leave the state to face a team ranked in the top 1000 in the country

5 minutes ago, Softballguy said:

I can name several nationally ranked teams who play weaker competition that TCA has in the last decade and wouldn't have to dig all that far into the rankings 

When you play in Florida you don't have to go fly across the country to face good teams 

This ain't Colorado or Oklahoma where you have to leave the state to face a team ranked in the top 1000 in the country

Nobody cares about the last decade. We're talking the awesome, modern era of HSFB. Now! 

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

If that were the case teams like Massillon, Valdosta, Moeller and St Ignatius would still be winning Nattys. 

Those teams realistically could get back to that level with the right coach and structure 

Let's not forget that most current powerhouses weren't that good 10-15 years ago

Those teams realistically could get back to that level with the right coach and structure 

Let's not forget that most current powerhouses weren't that good 10-15 years ago

First Nattys:

Mater Dei 1994

SJB 2013 

Gorman 2014

IMG has the best overall record (winning %) of any HSFB team in America over the past 10 seasons. 

6 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

First Nattys:

Mater Dei 1994

SJB 2013 

Gorman 2014

IMG has the best overall record (winning %) of any HSFB team in America over the past 10 seasons. 

IMG wasn't even in existence 15 years ago and weren't nationally good until 2016 (which is inside the 10 year window) 

And that's 3 teams out of how many nationally ranked teams? There's a few good ones but just as many if not more that weren't good 15 years ago 

Miami Central won their first STATE title in 2010 

AHP had how many championships before 2010? 

Chaminade Madonna? Cardinal Gibbons? 

These are 4 off the top of my head just from Florida

Either way it doesn't change the fact there's a good list of current state and nationally relevant teams across the board who weren't that good not that long ago 

Teams rise and fall all the time and usually a great coach at a program with prestige and they will be successful again 

Also didn't mater dei also have like a decade+ of average to subpar seasons between their run of national titles?

Who knows what former national power will be good again in the near future

1 minute ago, Softballguy said:

IMG wasn't even in existence 15 years ago and weren't nationally good until 2016 (which is inside the 10 year window) 

And that's 3 teams out of how many nationally ranked teams? There's a few good ones but just as many if not more that weren't good 15 years ago 

Miami Central won their first STATE title in 2010 

AHP had how many championships before 2010? 

Chaminade Madonna? Cardinal Gibbons? 

These are 4 off the top of my head just from Florida

You're talking local FL. I'm talking nationally-relevant. CG, C-M and AHP weren't nationally-relevant or highly ranked until recently. 

58 minutes ago, Softballguy said:

Either way it doesn't change the fact there's a good list of current state and nationally relevant teams across the board who weren't that good not that long ago 

Teams rise and fall all the time and usually a great coach at a program with prestige and they will be successful again 

Also didn't mater dei also have like a decade+ of average to subpar seasons between their run of national titles?

Who knows what former national power will be good again in the near future

Having coached at FSU, I'm obviously a fan of your state. In reality as of today there are only a four teams that are considered elite: 

IMG, STA, C-M, MC (trending down)

My definition of "elite" is any team that could compete with or beat any of the Big3 (MD, SJB, IMG). 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

You're talking local FL. I'm talking nationally-relevant. CG, C-M and AHP weren't nationally-relevant or highly ranked until recently. 

That is literally proving my point 

None of those teams were nationally elite until recently yet now they are 

Meaning teams who are elite now may not be elite in 10-15 years just as teams who aren't elite now may be elite in 10-15

Again what was Mater Dei in the mid to late 00s?

1 hour ago, Softballguy said:

That is literally proving my point 

None of those teams were nationally elite until recently yet now they are 

Meaning teams who are elite now may not be elite in 10-15 years just as teams who aren't elite now may be elite in 10-15

Again what was Mater Dei in the mid to late 00s?

What Mater Dei is now is what's most important. #powerprivate 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Having coached at FSU, I'm obviously a fan of your state. In reality as of today there are only a four teams that are considered elite: 

IMG, STA, C-M, MC (trending down)

My definition of "elite" is any team that could compete with or beat any of the Big3 (MD, SJB, IMG). 

Since 2019 MC has played 6 games against your beloved #powerprivates. Played BG and SJB in consecutive weeks. They miss one year and now they're trending down. You funny as hell dude!!!

Edited by MC ROCKETS

10 minutes ago, MC ROCKETS said:

Since 2019 MC has played 6 games against your beloved #powerprivates. Played BG and SJB in consecutive weeks. They miss one year and now they're trending down. You funny as hell dude!!!

At least they're still on the list. Losing to Norland 2x hasn't helped either. 

• Haha 1

What Mater Dei is now is what's most important. #powerprivate 

Maybe but your changing the debate 

This started with the past being unimportant because past powerhouses aren't as good as they were before but yet mater dei by your own admission had national title success in the 90s yet fell off in the 00s before regaining it so who's to say any former powerhouse CAN'T get back to that level 

14 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

If the lowest classes lined up with other states that would be the case but in Florida the county teams are in matter a lot more than the size of the school 

There are plenty of teams with a few hundred kids who will easily beat schools with a few thousand kids 

The talent pool of the county matters far more 

Maybe but your changing the debate 

This started with the past being unimportant because past powerhouses aren't as good as they were before but yet mater dei by your own admission had national title success in the 90s yet fell off in the 00s before regaining it so who's to say any former powerhouse CAN'T get back to that level 

I agree with you with the exception of public programs unless they schedule and beat elite, OOS power privates. Miami Central is the clear example. Two years ago they won a Natty because they beat IMG. This year they have no shot at a MNC due to their in-state schedule. Teams like Allen, Permian, Valdosta, etc. are done. 

14 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

At least they're still on the list. Losing to Norland 2x hasn't helped either. 

Norland had one of those years they have every 4-5 seasons. It was what it was. Not to mention in 4 of those games MC played against power privates they left the state.

1 minute ago, MC ROCKETS said:

Norland had one of those years they have every 4-5 seasons. It was what it was. Not to mention in 4 of those games MC played against power privates they left the state.

Norland lost to Berkeley Prep, which was a killer for MC. Regarding national rankings it's always best to lose to OOS teams than in-state ones. 

3 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Norland lost to Berkeley Prep, which was a killer for MC. Regarding national rankings it's always best to lose to OOS teams than in-state ones. 

I disagree. If the in state team is having a magical year(Norland or Berkeley) then you take it for what it is. I had rather lost to Norland last year that SFA...

• Like 1

That's like saying Valor Christian is a better win/loss than AHP 

Most states HAVE to travel OOS because the teams in their state are beneath them 

Teams WANT to play Florida because they know that Florida is a better state than every other 

When you are the standard you can play more elite competition in state than most OOS teams eams can offer 

I agree with you with the exception of public programs unless they schedule and beat elite, OOS power privates. Miami Central is the clear example. Two years ago they won a Natty because they beat IMG. This year they have no shot at a MNC due to their in-state schedule. Teams like Allen, Permian, Valdosta, etc. are done. 

With the right coach and pool of talent any program can become elite especially in today's sports climate with very little loyalty and the desire to load up at the team of the time 

4 minutes ago, Softballguy said:

With the right coach and pool of talent any program can become elite especially in today's sports climate with very little loyalty and the desire to load up at the team of the time 

We'll agree to disagree. In my opinion no public team will ever win a consensus Natty again.