California News

11 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

lol

The reason why this rule was put in place was to discourage academies from forming in Cali. Had nothing to do with winning or losing games.

Please fwd this message to the CIF:

Dear CIF, Every other state in America plays IMG and there are no "academies" popping up in those states! Love, PGL

1 hour ago, Bodysurf said:

lol

The reason why this rule was put in place was to discourage academies from forming in Cali. Had nothing to do with winning or losing games.

Well, they already have two “academies” in the Trinity League. When you have the L.A. metro of 12 million to choose from those two will always be powerhouses. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Omaha Vol said:

Well, they already have two “academies” in the Trinity League. When you have the L.A. metro of 12 million to choose from those two will always be powerhouses. 

I guess that makes Dallas Jesuit and Strake Jesuit academies too! Absolutely no difference other than CA has more talented ballers. 

1 hour ago, Omaha Vol said:

Most students at Mater Dei don’t play football. Same for Bosco. Students do go to school there to get an education.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Most students at Mater Dei don’t play football. Same for Bosco. Students do go to school there to get an education.

I’m quite sure Mater Dei and St. John Bosco are both institutions of higher learning (as well as the rest of the Trinity League), but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking that the money and resources available to them aren’t also used for a higher level of athletics. 

And I always thought IMG was a tennis academy. 🤣

9 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I’m quite sure Mater Dei and St. John Bosco are both institutions of higher learning (as well as the rest of the Trinity League), but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking that the money and resources available to them aren’t also used for a higher level of athletics. 

And I always thought IMG was a tennis academy. 🤣

100% agree with you. I’m not sure whether anybody attends IMG for solely academic reasons. I can only speak for MD, yes some students go there for athletics as their primary motivation. I’m not naive to think otherwise. The alumni have deep pockets indeed and the athletics department raises more money than a lot of colleges. I personally always donate to the general fund instead of athletics, as the overall holistic mission of the school is more important to me than athletics alone.